- 1 Boneless pork butt roast (Boston Butt.)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup Morton's Tender Quick
- 1/2 Cup honey (maple syrup or molasses can be substituted)
Suggested smoking wood: hickory, cherry, apple, pecan or oak.
- Mix the brown sugar and Tender Quick thoroughly. Slice the roast in half horizontally.
- Thoroughly coat both halves with the sugar/Tender Quick mixture and rub in well.
- Shake off the excess and put the roasts into large plastic ziplock bags.
- Put in the refrigerator for 6-7 days to cure.
- On the 3rd day pour off any pooled liquid, flip the bag over and return to the fridge.
- On the last day remove the meat from the bag and rinse thoroughly in cold water.
- Soak in cold water for 2 hours to remove some of the saltiness.
- After soaking remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the honey, molasses or maple syrup, just enough to thin and brush on the meat. Smoke at 200°F. until reaching 140°F in the thickest part. Cool in the fridge. When ready to eat, slice to your desired thickness and use as you would regular bacon.
The Bacon came out great!. Its so lean and the flavor is fantastic. I can not believe how easy this is with the BS. The Bacon cost me about 2.50 lb to make. That's a lot less than the grocery store and its a lot leaner so it goes farther. Plus the entertainment value is priceless.
From: Phone Guy