Jalapeno sticks for 10lb
(You can cut this to 5lbs too just half the ingredients)
- 9 lbs ground beef; either 85/15 or 90/10 lean
- 1 lb pork butt or pre ground unseasoned pork
- 1 cup cold distilled water
- 1 cup non fat dry milk
- 5 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp cure #1 (level teaspoons)
- 4 Tbsp jalapeno pepper powder
- 4 Tbsp dehydrated jalapeno pepper. Its about 1/4 cup
- 4 Tbsp dehydrated bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp allspice
- 17-19mm collagen casing or 26mm sheep or hog
- Grind or mix pre ground meats together. In a separate bowl, incorporate all dry ingredients with the water and stir well. Pour mixture into meat and mix very good. Next place meat mix into stuffer; stuffing the casings to any length you wish Refrigerate the stuffed casings overnight.
- Pre heat your smoker to 130°F (smoke generator on BUT NO SMOKE) vent 1/2 open, no water in the pan. Hang sticks in smoker for 1 hour or until the casings feel dry to the touch, then bump heat to 150°F, start applying smoke for 2 hours. On the third hour increase the temperature to 170http://www.bradleysmoker.com/recipes/nepas-jalapeno-sticks/F, with 2 more hours of smoke. Continue with the 170°F heat until the internal temperature of the sticks reach 152°F - 155°F.
- Upon reaching the internal temperature, turn heat and smoke generator off. Crack the door and let the sticks hang until they are shrivel and are cool to the touch; then take them out of the smoker. No need to shower these.
- Cut sticks to the length you like and vacuum seal. They can be frozen for up to 6 months.
- Note: if you're going to refrigerate some sticks use a glass or plastic gallon container with holes in the top for air circulation. A sealed zip lock bag will create mold and spoilage.
Additional Recipe Information:
- You can use 9lbs of venison and 1lb of beef fat to replace the ground beef and ground pork if you wish.