Simple Cold Smoked Salmon
1122 days ago
- 2 frozen "Wild Atlantic Salmon Filets" Just under 1 Kg each or about 1/2 pound (product of China)
- 2 teaspoons Tenderquik per filet
Additional Seasonings - add to your taste
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- seasoning salt
- parsley for colour
- lemon pepper <em>This item is an additional ingredient suggested and used by Crazy Canuck. It is not part of Whitetailfan's original recipe.</em>
- Apply Tenderquik to flesh of Salmon
- After 12 hours wash Tenderquik off of Salmon (freshen them)
- Set out to dry in refrigerator - 4 to 6 hours until fish is tacky to touch.
- Cold smoke with maple for 2 hours. Temperature was always below 100 degress F.
- Place back into refrigerator for 24 hours.
Had some the past three nights on Ritz Crackers . I think this awesome, and so very simple to make. I also liked the fact that I used Tenderquik. This was reassuring as the idea of whole cold smoking is in the danger zone.
The texture is velvety - It just slides off the skin with a fork! I really like this stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of prior experience to compare it to, so I cant tell you if I like it better than spyguys' The Best Smoked LOX Style Salmon as I have yet to try his recipe.
OK - I admit it. Whitetailfan has no idea what good smoked salmon should taste like. I grew up with cows and pigs, and some other animals we never ate, but here in southern Alberta there was no "handy" salmon, so I have eaten very little. BUT I tried some anyway, and I'm kinda proud of it - i.e. it tastes good to me so, here's what I did.