Chef Ted Reader shows how to make the greatest appetizer for any backyard party. It may be a little finicky, but once you bite into these delicious smoked scallops you'll be in 7th heaven. First, wrap a strip of bacon around the scallop, top it with fresh crab meat and halibut, then inject it with melted butter mixed with tennessee whiskey followed by a touch of barbecue seasoning on top. Put this smoked scallop appetizer into the Bradley Smoker and let it smoke for about 45 minutes. Remove the backyard smoked scallop appetizer out of the Bradley food smoker, and enjoy. Watch the video, then be sure to get the smoked scallop recipe and smoke these scallops up at your next backyard party!
Let's get Smoking!
- 1 Stick butter
- 2 oz. Tennessee Whiskey
- 12 Fresh large scallops, size U10
- 6 slices Bacon
- 12 Toothpicks
- 1/2 cup Fresh lump crab meat
- 8 oz Fresh halibut
- Sprinkle of Ted's World Famous BBQ Bone Dust™ BBQ Seasoning
- 6 slices Prosciutto, julienned
- 2 Tbsp Chives
Makes 12 as an appetizer or serves 4 for a main course
Bradley Smoker Temperature: 260°F
- In a small pot, melt the butter. Add the whiskey and remove from heat, keeping warm.
- Using an injection syringe, suck up the melted whiskey butter. Plunge the needle end of the syringe into the center of a scallop. Inject with a little whiskey butter. Repeat with remaining scallops and butter. Refrigerate.
- Stretch each slice of bacon to almost double it in length. Cut the bacon slices in half through the middle.
- Wrap each scallop with a half slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place scallops on smoker rack.
- Top each scallop with a little bit of fresh lump crabmeat.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the halibut into 12 very thin slices. Lay a slice of halibut on a flat surface and run your fingers over it, pressing lightly but firmly to stretch and flatten the slices. Cut each slice in half and then criss cross 2 halves over top of the crab topped scallops. Season to taste with a sprinkle of Bone Dust™ BBQ Seasoning.
- Prepare smoker as per manufacturer's instructions. Set temperature to 260°F.
- Smoke for 45 minutes. Remove scallops from smoker. Baste with a little extra whiskey butter, top with a little bit of julienne sliced prosciutto and fresh chopped chives.
- Serve immediately.