This basic recipe is appropriate for scallops, mussels, clams, prawns, oysters and shellfish.
Try cold smoking for an hour or so and then cook product in a dish to add a delightful light smoked taste.
Start smoke (do not turn on heat) for approximately 1-6 hours, depending on the seafood products.
- Brush shellfish with oil
- Place on oiled stainless mesh racks or oiled foil punched with small holes
- Sprinkle with a little salt
- Check the meat of the oysters and remove any hard pieces. Thick selfish should be placed on lower racks
- Preheat smoker to approximately 80°C (175°F). Close damper
- Place prepared seafood in the middle of the smoker
- Smoke cook for 1 - 2 hours. Cooking time may vary depending on weather and wind conditions.
- Rotate racks halfway through cooking time. If smoking seafood with shells, it may take a little longer. Test frequently.
When seafood is cooked, the flesh should be slightly firm and appear opaque.
Ready to Serve:
- Brush oil over seafood before serving.
- Hot serve: Serve immediately
- Cold serve: Refrigerate for an hour.
- Accompany with: crackers or dipping sauce.